Back in the day, maybe it was an Oprah thing, but I read/saw a program about creating a “gratitude journal.” The idea is simple: instead of focusing on the things we are not happy with, take that time and energy to note the things you are grateful for, those things that get you through the day. It can be as simple as being thankful the alarm went off in the morning so you were able to get up in time or having the Dunkin’ Donuts close enough to the office so you could get your morning iced coffee.
I kept one of these for quite awhile (it’s probably stashed away at my parents’ somewhere…) and it was a nice, easy way to shift my mind from the positive to the negative.
So, I’m going to try it again and keep the same format: I’m going to try to write each day about 5 things I’m thankful for. This will serve a two-fold purpose: to get me writing every day and to see how many wonderful things I have going in my life.
So, without further ado, the 5 things I am grateful for today:
- My brother, for always looking out for me. My brother always goes the extra mile for me and D and today was no exception. He called this morning to see if I’d want to go to The Union game tonight because his work might have been able to provide free passes and he knows how much I love soccer. And although it didn’t pan out this time, he was adamant he’d make it happen. Even though Eddie was having a busy/stressful day, he was still trying to do something nice for me, and really, that’s par for the course. He’s always trying to help us or do nice things, whether it’s host a family BBQ or donate cool Action News stuff for the bunny rescue’s fundraisers. And I don’t thank him nearly enough. So, Eddie, if you’re reading: thank you.
- The Sicilian Pizza at Joe’s. Joe’s pizza was literally one of the last things I thought about before going to bed last night. It’s not the end-all-be-all pizza place, but I really enjoy their Sicilian pizza: the dough/crust is not as dense as other places and they always have a perfect cheese/sauce ratio. It’s a good lunchtime pick-me-up.
- Donnie taking one for the team and cleaning both rabbit cages today, before I even got home. I knew this morning the litter box situation was going to be dire by the time I got home–it was already pretty bad. I debated just cleaning them this morning but I knew that would mean I would be beyond late to work. I dreaded coming home to them today and immediately got out the supplies to get to work after I dropped down my stuff. But to my delight, I saw that both were already cleaned and the buns were all happily lounging. I know Donnie had a hard day too, but he still took the time to take care of this. And that’s why I love him.
- My best friend’s been getting some happy news recently. After suffering through Job From Hell and dealing with the frustration/struggle of the dreaded “What Will I Do With My Life” blues, my best friend took a major leap, quit her job, and finally pursued the things she’s been wanting to do. And things are working out brilliantly for her. It makes me happy to see her happy and on the path to following her dreams. It’s inspiring and exciting. Congrats, Parr!
- The genuine excitement my dad shows when I call. Most times when I call my dad, I am greeted with an overly enthusiastic “Hello!” and “I was just thinking about you!” It’s a small thing, but it makes me feel like I’m the top in someone’s book, no matter how low I might be in my own.
So, what’s on your list?