Well, Jon Stewart is already crossed off the list, but that was just the beginning of the excitement to come. It feels like now that spring is springing, our social calendar is budding too. Here are the events currently on our calendar I can’t wait for:
1. Going to see Jon Stewart March 6th OK, so this already happened, but it was exciting stuff!! It was definitely not all stand up, knee slapping nonstop comedy, as I discussed with our friends Tim and Jill–definitely more… retrospective? motivational speaker-y at times? But still, I really, really enjoyed it. It was like watching a one-man Daily Show in crystal clear definition…
2. NYC with the family. We got tickets to see Mary Poppins on Broadway but Mother Nature totally fucked that up for us. It worked out because we ended up actually caring about the Superbowl and fortunately a friend from college told me about “past dating” tickets, so hopefully we will be able to get fairly decent seats with those for this Sunday’s show…
3. Pie shop hike. I’ve been trying to get into better shape, which is a bit of an up-and-down battle. I’ll do really well and then feel good and then think I can reward myself with treats or not thinking about my routine anymore and then I put on whatever was lost. My biggest downfall is my incredible sweet tooth–it probably wouldn’t be so bad if I just regularly combated my cravings with exercise. I finally found the perfect solution: super intense hike with a pie shop at the very top of the large hill/mountain. That’s in a couple weeks. I’m going to need to find some better hiking shoes…
4. Philadelphia Union’s first home game at the Linc. OK, so we realized that South Africa just wasn’t in the cards for this year, but fortunately the gods have been bringing the soccer to me since I can’t leave the continent for it quite yet… We got pretty decent seats for the Union’s first game ever with Jill and Tim. CAN’T WAIT!!
5. Something else may be in the works for right after that game, but we’ll see… 🙂
6. Billy Collins. One of my all-time favorite poets is coming to Philly. I LOVE him and have just about all of his books signed (I used to have more, but I let some inconsiderate prick borrow 2 and he let them get water damaged and/or lost them and I never got them back…). I’ve met him 2wce before (once was actually in a workshop setting, pre-poet laureate status!), once at good ol’ WAC (post-poet laureate).
7. Hoppy Hour. This is probably the biggest fundraiser the rescue has done and ::knock on wood:: it’s coming together really well. We’ve been getting SO many receptive businesses in the area to donate some pretty kickass prizes!! Right now we have passes to a Riversharks game, the Battleship NJ, 2 Philly theaters, a pretty fun bowling alley/bar/lounge place, the zoo, and lots more, not to mention all the fun gifts and bunny-type stuff that’s been coming in!! I really can’t wait to see the fruits of our labors come together on May 1st!!!
8. US vs Turkey. One of the US’s final games before making their way to the World Cup is being played in Philly and WE WILL BE THERE!! Another fun-filled soccer day… hopefully Donnie can stand it. 🙂
9. The Jersey Shore. My mom and I went down to Ocean City on Sunday to enjoy the beautiful weather and it just made me SO happy. Not everything was open yet, but we were able to walk around and feel the sun on our face and enjoy watching the tide roll in. I am making a point of getting down to Ocean City more this summer. That place is my haven… We’ve been talking about maybe getting a place for just a couple days… we’ll see if that happens, but hopefully we’ll get a couple nice weekend romps in.
So, that’s it.